Friday, February 24, 2012

Why the blog ?

Welcome to my little corner of the world.  In this blog I will get sidetracked and talk about a myriad of things, but as the title conveys, the overriding theme, for now at least, will be to follow my entry and progression into the art of Home brewing beer.  How and why I got into it, my thoughts on equipment, beer styles, getting more involved and technical in the brew process, where I procure items, my experiences brewing and drinking, and how to share this fun new hobby.

I am a married dad of 3 kids living in the NW who is into many things, and, like most men, I can NOT resist those little shiny things that cross my line of sight to distract me from my reality.  After moving to the Bethany area west of Portland a couple years ago, I was finally able to buy a home and move into our new neighborhood. 

The first thing I noticed when looking at our future home was a neighbor who had a nice big shiny ski boat out in front of his house.  It called to me, and I instantly knew at least one neighbor I was hoping to get to know well ... as in how about we go to the lake and do some skiing, fishing, BBQ'ing and drinking !

During the moving and unpacking, I discovered the neighbor with the nice boat I coveted had a son who was the same age as my oldest son .. prospects brightening !  Fate then intervened, as upon meeting and talking with the dad, I hit on the fact that he is a successful home brewer who would be happy to help me learn about and get into the process, and share equipment while I "discovered" if it was something I would like to begin doing on my own.  He also told me he happened to get all his equipment and indoctrination into the fine art of home brewing from one of my other neighbors, who had progressed into larger, better equipment and all-grain brewing.

I claimed I was only going to "try" it out and make a batch to see if I liked it first, but my mind had already been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment